Monday, March 2, 2009

Top Five Albums of the 80s

Over the weekend I went out and had some drinks with some of my friends. When I hang out with these guys we always end up having this discussion, if you were stranded on an island what five albums would you want to have if you knew that is all you could listen to for the rest of your life. You aren't allowed to pick soundtracks, greatest hits, or compilations either. It can be very difficult to pick and I always find myself picking three albums all of the time and then I throw in a couple that have been on my play list recently. Well, Saturday we broke it down by decade and I would like to throw out my list from the 1980s and see what kind of reactions I get.

1. The Cure "Disintegration"- My number one favorite album of all-time, so it obviously merits inclusion for me.

2. The Smiths "Meat is Murder"- Another one of my favorite bands and this is their best effort in my opinion.

3. Metallica "And Justice For All"- This was a tough choice. They had three albums from the decade that I could put on this list, but this is the one I am into right now so that's why it's here.

4. Faith No More "The Real Thing"- The album is much more than their first commercial hit "Epic." "From Out of Nowhere" and "Falling to Pieces" are great tunes as well. This album was a precursor to the 90s rap-rock crossover phenomenon that made bands like Rage Against the Machine popular. Definitely worth a listen if you haven't heard it.

5. Prince "Purple Rain"- Great album by a great musician. Whether you are a fan of his music or not there is no denying how inordinately talented he is, both vocally and instrumentally. I love this album.

Please send in your list, especially if it is a lot different. Hopefully I see some things I have never been exposed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment