Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Steroids and Schilling

There has been a lot of fallout from the A-Rod taking PED's story. One of the most interesting things I saw was Curt Schilling saying that all 104 names should be released. I happen to agree with him. I understand that legally I don't think this can happen. This was a private survey that the MLB did in 2003 and I believe the players union would go bananas if the league did release the names, but I think the fans have a right to know.

Baseball has a lot to gain by making this public. I have no doubts that it would be detrimental to many players if this did come out, but the more we know the better. Steroids will hang over the head of every major player until we know that they are clean. What can be gained is trust and respectability. I believe, if this is released, we can truly say who was great from this era and who may not have been as great. I think A-Rod is great without the steroids, but he admitted to taking them. We may never know if his numbers were inflated by PED's or if his numbers would have been the same without them. I believe that the names should come out and each fan has the right to reserve judgment on any player in question. This is a major step for baseball to regain its image.

I hear sportswriters say all of the time that baseball gets a raw deal when sports like football get a free pass on steroids. They might be right, baseball does get a harsher stance than other sports, but I think that it should. Baseball is without question America's Past time, that is indisputable. It is so ingrained in America, it is in the fabric of our being. If it is to be continued to be held in this regard I believe that the standards of our professional baseball players and our league should be that much higher. It is up to the league and the players to regain our respect and to start living up to their lofty standards. I personally do not care if less home runs are hit, I want to see who is truly great, who can measure up to the storied names of baseball's past without cheating.

No comments:

Post a Comment